of Baldwin Hills ARC Meeting 2/2/00
The second 2000 meeting of the Baldwin
Hills Amateur Radio Club was called to order by the
President, James, N6KWI, at 1944 on February 2, 2000. Also
present were Ed, WA6MDJ, Chairman of the Board; Hugh, NV6H,
Secretary; and David, N6HGJ, our diligent Membership Chairman/Treasurer.
I. Old Business
- The President thanked everyone for coming, and briefly discussed
the Club election, usually held at the February meeting. On the
unanimous consent of those present, this was put off until the
March meeting. (Until this changed - more later.)
- The Secretary read the minutes from the November,
1999 meeting, seeing as December seems to have gone back to the
North Pole with Santa, and January didn't have anything to report.
These were approved as read.
- The Secretary put on his other hat as ARRL Representative,
and reported on League matters including ARRL's new officers,
and its impending petition that the FCC slightly modify the new
license plan to continue listing Tech Plus in the database.
- The Chairman reported on the repeaters. Mount Harvard is
up, and links are being worked on. A new controller is ready
to go up to Santiago. 1.2 GHz on that hill is still down. Two
meters on Baldwin is due for a changeout.
- The Chairman also noted that TASMA( Two-meter Area Spectrum
Management Association) had its meeting, and Santiago is still
co-ordinated in its normal status.
- Dieter, KD6LVW, reported that 90 people showed up
at Jun's VE session. 45 were Advanced licensees taking the Extra
class written exam before it got longer in April. (They don't
need to take the code test; it's going away.) Dieter needs volunteers
to help out at these sessions, since they promise to be quite
chaotic for a while.
- The Membership Chairman reported that we had one renewal,
and that the annual mailing would happen whenever Jack recovers
from his recent blessed event (7.7 pounds, on February 7, name
- Greg, KD6AIS, the Community Events Chairman, discussed
the upcoming L.A. Marathon, and the UNCF Walk which is May 6
this year and includes a bicycle tour, requiring more people.
- The President discussed the ongoing newsletter situation.
We need a newsletter editor.
II. New Business
- The President opened the nominations for the 2000 election
of officers. The only contested election was for Treasurer, where
the name of Greg KD6AIS, had been placed in nomination
way back in November. Greg apparently came to his senses and
declined the nomination, leaving no contests at all. Juan Leysath
was the only candidate for the office of Vice-President, and
all the other officers were crazy enough to want to do it again.
Therefore, they were declared elected by unanimous consent of
those present. James continues as President, Juan
is the new VP, David is Treasurer, and Hugh
keeps writing these entertaining minutes
once a month as Secretary.
- The new President handed himself the gavel, and proceeded
to run down the committee list. They are: 220SMA rep: Ed Walker; ARRL rep: Hugh;
Community Events: Greg; Field Day:
Ed Walker; LAACARC rep: Ed
Cron; Membership: David (forever);
Refreshments: Samir; SCRRBA rep:
Ed Walker; TASMA rep: Keith;
and VE Testing; Dieter. The
Program and Social Committees remain open. Neither are very hard,
and they're important. Any takers?
- The President thanked everyone for coming, and reminded people
to feed the refreshment kitty.
- After this, we stood ADJOURNED at 2110, until March 1, 2000.
Submitted for approval this 1st day of March, 2000
And corrected 5 April, 2000
by Hugh Stegman, NV6H, Secretary